Today I am happy to share with you an old family recipe. It is simple and delicious. This is what we like to call Lazy Daisy Hot Milk Sponge Cake.
Lazy Daisy Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 25-30 minutes Yield: 24 pieces
1 1/2 cup sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup hot milk
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light cream
2 cups flaked coconut
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt
- Add butter to milk; keep hot
- Beat eggs till thick and lemon colored (about 3 minutes) at a high speed
- Gradually add sugar, beating constantly at medium speed for 4-5 minutes
- Quickly add sifted dry ingredients to egg mixture. Stir just till blended.
- Stir in hot milk mixture and vanilla. Blend well
- Pour into greased and floured 9×13 pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling mix together all of the topping ingredients.
- Spread the topping over the cake and place back in the oven on broil to lightly brown the coconut.
- Remove the cake and let cool in the pan completely.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!
I made this sweet treat for a co-worker’s birthday. Instead of all-purpose flour, I used rice flour to make the recipe gluten free. Even with this adjustment it was still delicious.
I love this gem of a family recipe and I am happy to share it with everyone. Does anybody else have a sweet family recipe that is yummy no matter what? Share them here 🙂